Sunday, June 13, 2010

Looking back, looking ahead

A week ago I returned from Prague, from what really was the trip of a lifetime. During my two weeks in the Czech Republic I met a lot of fantastic people, learned a great deal more than you would think possible in a two-week period, and fell in love with a city that hadn't even really been on my radar before.

I have been pleasantly surprised by all the support and vast readership of this blog. A couple times during the course, my classmates turned to me to take the official picture; I was touched to be the group's entrusted documenter. I took pages of notes at each library, lecture, and tour, and enjoyed going through them each evening and filtering them down to blog-length articles. The pictures I posted here are just a fraction of those I took; you can see the full albums on my Facebook page (you don't have to be on Facebook to see these; though if you are on Facebook, please send me a friend request!):

Prague pictures part 1
Prague pictures part 2
Prague pictures part 3

Back here in the real world, I'm taking a summer course (Library Management) and continuing to work part-time at the Lexington Public Library. In two weeks, I'll be car-pooling to D.C. for ALA Annual, where I look forward to catching up with some librarian and vendor friends. I'm pretty excited about attending as a librarian, rather than a vendor -- I'll be able to wear comfortable shoes and actually leave the exhibit hall to go to the programs and presentations!

Of course, the iPad and camera will be coming with me, and I plan to blog from the conference. I'm particularly looking forward to the International Relations Round Table reception. I am the assistant editor of International Leads, the IRRT newsletter . . . check out our current issue, which showcases a collection of articles written and compiled by one of my favorite librarians, New Trier High School's Deborah Lazar.

Watch this space for continued updates from the "Librarian in Action," and don't be surprised to find me back in Prague eventually!

Na zdraví!

No comments:

Post a Comment